Sunday 11 March 2012

Nail Art: Russian Doll

Russian Dolls are quite a popular Nail Art design, I can only imagine this has something to do with their pear shape and the fact that you can do many colour cobinations and personalise it.

I first thought about doing one about a week ago when I used this lovely perfume and, after looking at several photos online, decided to create my own version of it.

My materials:

The colours, described below
I still haven't bought any brushes, so I used an orange stick and four toothpicks.

The process:

This time I remembered to take photos and even created a little animation!

Click to enlarge

I painted things in the following order:
  1. My nails with the base colour, Nubar Classic Camel
  2. A circle in a-england Galahad for the head scarf, using the orange stick
  3. A triangle in OPI Jade Is The New Black for the dress, using a toothpick
  4. The hair, using Nails Inc Fenchurch Street and a toothpick
  5. The lips, using Nails Inc Charing Cross and a toothpick
  6. The eyes, using OPI Black Onyx and a toothpick
  7. The larger parts of the cape, using OPI Dim Sum Plum and the orange stick
    1. I then did the edges in the same colour, using a toothpick
  8. Some random detail in the dress, using Nails Inc Charing Cross and the toothpick
  9. Some white dots on her scarf, using OPI Alpine Snow and the toothpick
  10. Two coats of top coat to be safe!

The outcome:

I decided that Nubar Classic Camel was too light and I needed a colour that was more in-keeping with the design, so I painted the other nails in OPI Dim Sum Plum.

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
My husband liked it, my little girl loved it... the only problem I have is that I finished it at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning, which means I won't be doing any other swatches this weekend! I need to at least wait until after I've been to work on Monday to remove it.

8 comments:

  1. Very inspiring posts and beautiful blog!
    Would you like to follow each other?
    xoxo,
    Fashionhypnotised girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've just had a look at your blog and it looks fab. Your photos are great. I will follow you now x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estoy maravillada con esta belleza! No puedo creer que puedas hacer diseños tan lindos y complejos sin pinceles ni herramientas, tenés un talento natural!
    me encantan las Mamushkas, y los colores que elegistes quedan bárbaros juntos.
    Mención aparte para Galahad y Dim Sum Plum, que tonos divinos, me encantaron.
    Felecitaciones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah el gift es buenisimo, vas a tener que enseñarme a hacerlos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esta buenísima!!! Me guardo el post en favoritos asi algun día te uso de modelo el diseño. Me fascinó !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ceci, que linda russian doll, te RE luciste, y no solo con el nail art tambien con el GIF, esta buenisimo!!
    Me voy a poner al dia con la semana de a-england, estuve muy atareada lasemana pasada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just did a russian doll nail art. Check out my version :D

    http://nailartcouture.blogspot.ca/2012/04/readers-request-matryoshka-russian.html

    ReplyDelete